Tuesday 23 November 2010

Christmas inspiration...

Image from the Attic 24 blog

I don't know about you but Christmas is my favourite time of year. I'm really excited about this Christmas as it's our first in this flat, and the first time we've not had pesky flatmates getting in the way! I'm trying to make a lot of my own Christmas decorations and have been trawling the web for inspiration. The Boy doesn't like things to look too folksy or twee, so I'm trying to avoid anything too country cottagey. These are some of my favourites ideas/makes: 


  • A selection of wreaths from Good Housekeeping - I loved the idea of using ice and cherries to create an outdoor one - if only I didn't live in a flat!
  • These crocheted snowflakes are lovely (see pic above) - Lucy from Attic 24 has kindly provided a tutorial which I'm planning to have a go at tonight.
  • For me, this wreath is the one. I think it's just great. However I have been completely unable to find any silver tinsel - thwarted! Crouch End must be too sophis for such tacky decorations. 


Image from the Creature Comforts blog

  • Yarn wreaths (I'm a little obsessed with wreaths this year, can you tell?) from Danielle who blogs at Take Heart - they look really simple to make but I think they make really lovely festive decorations.
  • These little animal baubles are SO cute, I am definitely going to try making a version of the owl! I like these little heart ones too. A perfect project for sitting in front of the telly with a glass of vino..
  • This string of origami boxes are just gorgeous - I absolutely love them. If only I could bring myself to rip up an old book...


Image taken from Creature Comforts blog


  • This 'whatnot tree' is a great alternative for those (like me) who don't have room for a proper tree. I'm off to Ally Pally in the next couple of days to hunt for twigs!
  • This garland from Anthropologie has the perfect style balance between folksy and funky.
  • I've absolutely fallen in love with this little felt deer bauble from Lowell and Son's etsy shop:





That's just some of the lovely ideas I've found online - you're all such an inspiration! I'll pop back in a few days to update on how I'm getting on with my own projects. How are you decorating your home this year? Have you any crafty Christmassy ideas you'd like to share? I'd love to see what other people are doing.

Have a lovely evening, I'm off now to finish sewing up my Simplicity 2591 - slightly disappointed as preliminary fittings lead me to think it's going to make me look fat, but we shall see...I'll post the outcome (good or bad) here once I'm all finished up.

Carly xx

1 comment:

  1. This is all so pretty and cute! Makes me smile!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete