Thursday 4 November 2010

crocheted wristlets: tutorial

I'm new to crochet, and I'm absolutely loving it. But I never seem to find the exact pattern for what I want to make, so I made these wristlets as a gift for my friend from a 'pattern' I made up myself just using a simple fan stitch. They are by no means perfect as I've only been crocheting since September so am not that experienced, but in the spirit of sharing here's how I made them:

Start: Using a 3mm hook chain 32 (this fits an average wrist - I gave them away before measuring, but I think this was about 16cm)
Row 1: * 1 treble crochet (tr) into 4th chain from hook * miss 2 chain then 5 tr into next chain * miss 2 chain then 1 tr in the next 2 chains * miss 2 chains then 5 tr into the next chain * repeat to end of row.
Row 2: chain 3 * 5 tr into the space between the two side by side tr stitches * 1 tr into the space between the 2nd and 3rd trs in the group of 5 and 1 tr into the space between the 3rd and 4th trs in the same group of 5 * (the previous two steps may be reversed depending on whether you ended your last row with a group of 5 trs or 2 singles) * continue til end of row. 
Rows 3 - end: repeat row 2 until you have the length you require. 
To finish: darn/crochet/stitch up the seam. If you want to leave a space for the thumb you can, mine don't have this. I am currently experimenting with crocheting these continuously in the round so that there is no seam, if I manage it I will update. 
Embellish: I used a flower pattern I found in an old book, but you could embellish with anything - bows, ribbons, pom poms....or you could crochet in a brighter colour/stripes and leave the crochet to speak for itself. There are heaps of flower tutorial videos online, but if you'd like me to share mine just let me know and I'm happy to do so.

If you have any tips or tricks to improve my pattern I'd love to hear from you in the comments. How do you crochet something like this without a seam?

Carly xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi. They are so cute. thanks for sharing. I'm not so experienced with crochet patterns more with knitting. What yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete